Our mixed-age kindergartens are warm, joyful and family-like.
- Children are age four before the start of the program.
- Four mixed-age kindergarten classes are currently available for children ages 4 – 6. Classes are formed and grouped based upon the particular constellation of ages and developmental needs of the enrolled children in any given year.
- Kindergartens are held Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- The Kindergarten Extended Day is available to provide care until 3 p.m. Parents can choose between three or five days.
- The After School program is available from 3:05 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Parents can choose one, two, three, four or all five days.
BWS kindergarten programs are pre-academic and provide children with the strong foundations they will need for elementary-age learning. Experienced teachers support and guide each child’s imaginative capacities, practical skills, social development, and emerging intellect.
Circle time and story-telling provide a foundation for language arts; rhythmic games, songs, and guided movement help children develop a relationship to space, numbers, and mathematics; exposure to the natural world provides the foundation for the life sciences; creative play lays the foundation for self-motivated learning and artistic activity fosters creative problem solving and the development of integrated life skills.
Kindergarten children continue to refine their self-care skills and their expanding ability to help each other form a close-knit class community.
Older children help younger children and are given greater classroom responsibilities with daily activities tailored to their increasing capacities. Activities for the older kindergarten child are also specifically designed to prepare them for the challenges of first grade.
The younger children learn from the older children by watching and begin to learn some of the steps, skills and expectations.